I love food and to me there is nothing better than some good comfort food.This month “fortheloveofjade” will be showcasing alternative ways to eat some of our favorite comfort foods and when I say alternative I do mean healthy. I love chili my grandfather being a chef use to make a big pot of chili and bring some home for me with fresh baked bread, it goes without saying I was in heaven. Todays chili will not only be made in a way in which it is super healthy for you to indulge in but, vegans can indulge in this meal too.
- 1 plus 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled & diced.
- 1 large onion, diced.
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin.
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle chile.
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups of water.
- 2- 15 Oz. cans of black beans, rinsed.
- 2- 14 Oz. can of diced tomatoes.
- 4 tsp lime juice.
- 1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro.
- Heat oil. Add sweet potato and onions, cook until onions become soft (4 minutes).
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt continue to cook. Stir for about (30 seconds).
- Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle ( simmer and cook) until the sweet potato is tender (10-12 minutes).
- Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to simmer (stir often). Reduce and remove from heat and stir in cilantro.