We will be continuing with our alternative eating comfort foods post by spotlighting todays meal: spaghetti and meatballs. One of my favorite easy meals to make for niece and nephews for dinnertime, they love it and they like it the alternative way.
- 1 Pack of spaghetti squash and/or you can use wheat spaghetti noodles ( I use the wheat noodles).
- 1 Lb. ground chicken or you can use turkey ( I prefer turkey).
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- Half a Tsp of red pepper.
- Half a Tsp of rosemary.
- 2 Jars of lower sodium marinara sauce.
- Basil leaves.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line 18-inch by 12-inch jelly-roll pan with foil. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Heat large covered sauce pot of salted water to boiling on high.
- With knife, pierce squash all over. Place on microwave-safe pie plate or shallow bowl. Microwave on High 7 minutes. Turn over; microwave another 10 minutes or until very tender when pierced with knife.
- Arrange sliced pepper in single layer on half of prepared pan. In medium bowl, mix chicken with garlic, crushed red pepper, rosemary, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using rounded measuring tablespoon, form mixture into 1-inch balls; place on other half of prepared pan. Spray sliced pepper and meatballs with cooking spray. Roast 15 minutes or until meatballs are golden and cooked through (165 degrees F).
- While meatballs roast, cook spaghetti as label directs. Drain well; return to pot.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, cut in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds. With fork, scrape squash strands into pot with pasta. Add marinara sauce, roasted red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss until combined. Divide among 4 serving plates. Top each with meatballs. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired.
Why not eat how you want to eat and the foods you love to eat but in a more alternative healthy way.. #lovetocook!